Re: Unversioned .so file in /usr/lib vs dh_makeshlibs vs postinst-must-call-ldconfig

Le lundi 23 novembre 2009 à 14:39 +0300, Nikita V. Youshchenko a
écrit :
> I've also seen cases when upstream build system puts some code in
> a 'private shared library' which is installed into $prefix/lib, but is
> never intended to use outside of current package (and has absolutely
> unstable ABI, etc).
>
> How to handle that case, if not putting private library as-is to /usr/lib ?
>
> Move it to /usr/lib/packagename, and use rpath on binaries? debian tries to
> avoid rpath AFAIK ...

Just because we hunt down stupid rpath cases doesn’t mean there aren’t
valid uses for it. And this is precisely the case for which rpath is
intended.

> Or alter upstream's build system to stop producing shared library? that's
> at least maintaince headache without any win...

No, that would be a net loss in terms of disk and memory usage.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :