Re: Unversioned .so file in /usr/lib vs dh_makeshlibs vs postinst-must-call-ldconfig

Le lundi 23 novembre 2009 à 14:39 +0300, Nikita V. Youshchenko a
écrit :
> I've also seen cases when upstream build system puts some code in
> a 'private shared library' which is installed into $prefix/lib, but is
> never intended to use outside of current package (and has absolutely
> unstable ABI, etc).
> How to handle that case, if not putting private library as-is to /usr/lib ?
> Move it to /usr/lib/packagename, and use rpath on binaries? debian tries to
> avoid rpath AFAIK ...

Just because we hunt down stupid rpath cases doesn’t mean there aren’t
valid uses for it. And this is precisely the case for which rpath is

> Or alter upstream's build system to stop producing shared library? that's
> at least maintaince headache without any win...

No, that would be a net loss in terms of disk and memory usage.

 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'   “I recommend you to learn English in hope that you in
  `-     future understand things”  -- Jörg Schilling