Re: Bits from the FTPMaster meeting

Le Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 09:38:38AM -0600, Steve Langasek a écrit :

> Debian only advances as fast as the slowest supported port

That is the key observation.

To save everybody's time, I proposed earlier in this month's discussion to not
report the build failures in our bug tracking system unless there is an interest
from the porters or from the package maintainers to make the package available
in the affected architecture(s).

We could go even one step further: if our build network is close to saturation
for the slowest architectures, it would make much sense to avoid building leaf
packages, or even whole branches of our dependancy tree on some architectures
where they have no users. ‘No user’ is easy to define. If:

 - the package maintainer does not expect users,
 - the porters are busy porting core packages of higher priorities
   (required, important, standard …),
 - upstream does not support the architeture,
 - no Debian user ever showed interest for the package in this architecture,

this package can then be safely ignored, which will save a lot of time to
everybody, letting them to focus on problems for which people do care a lot.

This would reduce the load of the build network, and make occasional build
failures sustainable (not to mention that some of the packages that take a long
time to build are good candidate for being ignored).

Although it sounds a bit sillogical, if for some architectures we do not build
the packages that have no users, no user will complain. So why not ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan