Re: Bits from the FTPMaster meeting

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 06:24:42PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 19:29 -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > I'm not asserting that this problem is *not* significant, I simply don't
> > know - and am interested in knowing if anyone has more data on this beyond
> > some four-year-old anecdotes.  Certainly, Debian with its wider range of
> > ports is more likely to run into problems because of this than Ubuntu, and
> > so will need to be fairly cautious.

> I'd have assumed that ports will have no effect on this: Debian only
> uploads one binary arch (from the maintainer) anyway :- only builds on
> that arch will be directly affected except in the case of a build
> failure that the maintainer could have caught locally.

I thought the nature of the problem was clear, but to be explicit:
requiring binary uploads ensures that the package has been build-tested
*somewhere* prior to upload, and avoids clogging up the buildds with
preventable failures (some of which will happen only at the end of the
build, which may tie up the buildd for quite a long time).  The larger
number of ports compared to Ubuntu has the effect that the ports with the
lowest capacity are /more likely/ to run into problems as a result of such
waste, and as Debian only advances as fast as the slowest supported port,
this holds up the entire distribution.