Re: /var/www is depracated, which directory to use?

Hi Sean,

On Sonntag, 27. September 2009, sean finney wrote:
> > > currently munin ships some file(s) in /var/www/munin/ and also puts its
> > > generated graphs there. This location has been depracted and we, the
> > > munin maintainers, would like to come up with a new location for
> > > squeeze.
> take a look at http://webapps-common.alioth.debian.org/draft/html/ , which
> covers most of the stuff you're asking about.

I've skimmed it and neither 3.1 nor 5.1.1 covers what I'm interested at. Where
to put static files is easy... but not my main question :)

> i would recommend similar, but with the modification that you use a
> dedicated subdirectory (i.e. /usr/share/munin/site), so that you still
> have /usr/share/munin for other uses as well.

Thats for read-only data only.

> > I personally do not believe that serving anything from a package via the
> > web by default is a good goal.  Certainly for my systems, any system
> > that's running a web server has a virtual host configuration and anything
> > that packages try to do to control what my web server serves out is
> > broken and undesireable.
> i'd have to disagree there.  i think anything that might serve up content
> while unconfigured is a horrible idea

I think having munin working out-of-the-box is a very neat feature.

> (one more reason to avoid /var/www
> and /usr/lib/cgi-bin), but if someone installs an application that can
> behave sanely out of the box, i don't see why one shouldn't go out of
> their way to do so.

munin can. I just dont know where to go ;-)

regards,
	Holger