Re: /var/www is depracated, which directory to use?

hi holger, russ,

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 12:36:43AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> writes:
>
> > currently munin ships some file(s) in /var/www/munin/ and also puts its
> > generated graphs there. This location has been depracted and we, the
> > munin maintainers, would like to come up with a new location for
> > squeeze.

take a look at http://webapps-common.alioth.debian.org/draft/html/ , which
covers most of the stuff you're asking about.

> My recommendation would be for it to install its static files in
> /usr/share/munin, put its generated graphs in /var/lib/munin, and provide
> example configuration for common web servers such as Apache that explain
> how to serve out the appropriate files.

i would recommend similar, but with the modification that you use a
dedicated subdirectory (i.e. /usr/share/munin/site), so that you still
have /usr/share/munin for other uses as well.

> I personally do not believe that serving anything from a package via the
> web by default is a good goal.  Certainly for my systems, any system
> that's running a web server has a virtual host configuration and anything
> that packages try to do to control what my web server serves out is broken
> and undesireable.

i'd have to disagree there.  i think anything that might serve up content
while unconfigured is a horrible idea (one more reason to avoid /var/www
and /usr/lib/cgi-bin), but if someone installs an application that can
behave sanely out of the box, i don't see why one shouldn't go out of
their way to do so.

	sean