Re: Of the use of native packages for programs not specific to Debian.

On Wed, Sep 23 2009, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> writes:
>
>> If upstream == maintainer then why would there ever be an upstream
>> release without a debian release?
>
> It's rare for there to be an upstream release without a Debian release,
> although it can happen during freezes or with frequent dev releases.  It's
> very, very common for there to be a Debian release without an upstream
> release, which is more where the problem is.  Going through all the normal
> upstream release process when there was just a minor change to the
> packaging files is really a waste of time, and then what happens is that
> there's a temptation to not fix packaging problems until one gets around
> to making another upstream release.
>
> I went through all this with my own packages for which I'm upstream and
> found that keeping the packaging separate from the upstream distribution
> was way more convenient and useful for me.

        And that, I think, may serve as a guiding criteria for whether
 one should make a package native or not. With my native packages
 (kernel-package, ucf, and devotee), I do not _have_ an upstrem process,
 nor an upstream "distribution" or tarball; and thus there is no
 difference in process for a packaging change or a feature addition --
 which makes it clear to me that these are native packages.

        So if the "upstream release" has a life of its own, distinct
 from a Debian package upload, you probably do not want native packaging
 even if you, as a DD, are upstream.

        manoj

--
Gee, Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.