Re: Of the use of native packages for programs not specific to Debian.

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

I also would rather have a native package in Debian and then have
Debian derivatives convert the package using Debians tar.gz as
orig.tar.gz and put their derivate specific changes into diff.gz.

Shipping a source with 0 byte diff.gz in Debian seems stupid and
shipping a all of debian/ as diff.gz in Debian means the changes
derivatives do get lost in a huge diff. Seems to me like a native
package in Debian and non-native in a derivative is the best way.

We have a lot of troubles when upstreams ship a debian/ directory
in upstream tarball, thus I'll expect derivatives will have similar
problems (if they do something more than a raw copy of our sources).

If we pack non debian-specific packages as native, I'll have more
trouble in explaining upstreams that it is bad to ship debian/ dir.

[I'm really waiting for dpkg-source 3.0 for this reason!]

And derivatives will have more difficulties if they want to change
the helper (to dh 7, to cdbs, ...).

ciao
	cate