Re: Of the use of native packages for programs not specific to Debian.

Charles Plessy:
> At least one of the consequences of being native is that the package gets all
> its gettext and manpages translations for free from Debian. In the case of
> programs like ikiwiki [..]

AFAIK, any translator from Debian who has translated ikiwiki's gettext
or underlays (no man page translations ever contributed) has done so in
the knowledge that it is not specific to Debian.

Gunnar Wolf:
> Do you want to throw stones in the way of Debian derivatives by being unable
> to do packaging-specific changes while keeping track of your upstream
> releases?

I see our most modification-happy derivative, Ubuntu, frequently modify
native packages, with apparent success.

I've never seen them or anyone reach for debhelper's --ignore flag, but
it is there in case there is some file in debian/ that the derivative does
not want used.

--
see shy jo, who maintains non-debian-specific native packages including
  alien, etckeeper, filters, ikiwiki, jetring, moreutils, mpdtoys, mr,