Re: The 'git' Debian package in squeeze

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:06:11AM -0500, Peter Samuelson
wrote:
> Well, except _not_ to abet the hostile takeover of a
> project name that has been around since ... I don't know,
> but the Debian package goes back to 1997.

In what way is it hostile? Do you really believe that
leaving things the way they are is in the best interest of
our users?

> I know git is the awesomest thing since tla, but I'm
> disappointed that 8 or 9 years of seniority did not, in
> the end, count for anything.

I believe the upstream was last modified in 1997. So that's
12 years of "seniority", but it's also 12 years in which
the upstream source was essentially unmaintained. If we
really did decide that our priority was packages, rather
than users, I'd hope some other metric than age was used to
resolve any such conflicts.

--
Jon Dowland