Re: Relation between Suggests and Enhances

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> > Ahh, I remember I was formerly wondering about this option which might
> > be not easy enough to find.  But anyway, my main question was whether
> > there is a technical implementation of the *Enhances* field.
> Personally, I'd would never set even apt::install-suggests, because some
> innocent install command will pull half of all optional packages in
> distribution to your system.
>
> How do you imagine a technical implementation of a 'Enhances' field? Something
> like 'apt::install-enhances'?

The Enhances field like the Suggests field is just about informing the
user of packages that are related and that he might want to look at. So
in user interfaces where you present suggested package of package A you
should also include packages which have Enhances: A.

IIRC that's the only goal that we ever wanted to reach with that field.
Auto-installing suggested packages is not really a good idea as you have
witnessed.

But I don't know of any tool that implements this (even if it doesn't look
like complicated).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog