Re: Debian Policy 3.8.3.0 released: localized manpages

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 07:10:00PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
>
> > What is the governing standard for Debian man pages, and what does it
> > say about the ‘TH’ command?
>
> I don't believe we have any standard other than "you should have one" and
> some guidelines about translations.

This is just my own personal use of .TH in all my projects, using
sbuild as an example:

.TH SCHROOT 1 "@RELEASE_DATE@" "Version @VERSION@" "Debian sbuild"

where @RELEASE_DATE@ is the date of the release, which gets substituted
in by autoconf's configure script (schroot.1.in -> schroot.1).
Downside: an additional processing step.
Advantage: always up to date with no manual editing required.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh