Re: Debian Policy 3.8.3.0 released: localized manpages

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> I suspect that this is going to not be as accurate as we might hope,
> but it is at least fairly easy to check and there's a simple fix for
> false positives (updating the .TH date), so it seems reasonable to me.

Right. It doesn't need to be perfect, so long as the detriment (effort
to fix incorrect dates in ‘TH’ commands) is outweighed by the benefit
(automatically finding many cases of translated manpages older than the
originals).

> Note that a lot of man pages don't have a date on the .TH line. It's
> not required.

The description in ‘man-pages(7)’ (quoted earlier in this thread) says
“This page describes the conventions that should be employed when
writing man pages for the Linux man-pages project”. Admittedly, that's a
“should”, and Linux != Debian.

What is the governing standard for Debian man pages, and what does it
say about the ‘TH’ command?

--
 \       “During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes |
  `\   was not putting on your armor because you were ‘just going down |