Re: Debian Policy released: localized manpages

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 09:53:34AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org> writes:
> > On lun, 2009-08-17 at 13:01 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> >> So surely the best way to tell if a translated page is out of date is
> >> to compare these dates in the two documents, no?
> > And I guess it should be easy to make a lintian test for that?
> I suspect that this is going to not be as accurate as we might hope, but
> it is at least fairly easy to check and there's a simple fix for false
> positives (updating the .TH date), so it seems reasonable to me.
> Note that a lot of man pages don't have a date on the .TH line.  It's not
> required.

Also note that translated manpages may have a translated date.

But I agree that if both the English and a translated manpages have a date
in the format YYYY-MM-DD, and the date of the translated manpages has an
older date, lintian could warn.

Best Regards,