Re: What's the use for Standards-Version?

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>         I do not have a strong opinion about this, apart from the fact
> >>  that it must be present in the sources when someone is looking to
> >>  update the package, and it should be accessible before downloading all
> >>  the sources. So having it in the diff.gz and PTS would be good enough.
> >
> > The PTS gets it from Sources.gz so removing it is not really an option.
>
> PTS could read data from an other file.

Until this file exists, the possibility to use another file is useless.

Anyone that wants to remove it from the Sources file will have to
provide the data in some other useful way (maybe in UDD) before. Don't
break stuff deliberately.

While we're at it, I'm against making the field optional and I'd rather
have maintainers not update it when they do not have the time to check
whether recent changes impact their packages than blindly update it.

> BTW also Maintainer and Uploader fiels are uselessly exported.

Same here, they are used. While in stable the info might not be up-to-date,
in sid it does and those infos are used by the PTS.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog