Re: What’s the use for Standards-Version?

On Wed, Aug 12 2009, Neil Williams wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 08:22:17 -0500
> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> > In many cases, wouldn't such a relationship be better expressed by a
>> > dependency on a package that implemented the new behaviour? Often it's
>> > dpkg and many of those situations are already handled via just such a
>> > dependency. So why have the extra field?
>>
>>         Because not all new policy changes are reflected by a new
>>  version of some package? And for  Developer picking up a package and
>>  wanting to know what needs to be looked at in order to achieve policy
>>  compliance, a mess of possible dependency relationships is a lot harder
>>  to base that decision on than a simple standards version.
>
> OK, so if it's mainly for the benefit of the (next) maintainer, why not
> leave the field in debian/ but not put it into the Sources.gz file and
> not make an issue of it if it is out of date? ould be a comment in
> debian/rules.

        I do not have a strong opinion about this, apart from the fact
 that it must be present in the sources when someone is looking to
 update the package, and it should be accessible before downloading all
 the sources. So having it in the diff.gz and PTS would be good enough.

        I also do not see much of a downside in letting current practice
 be -- what are the things I am missing?

        manoj
--
A businessman is a hybrid of a dancer and a calculator. Paul Valery