[Answered] Question regarding the default system shell

Hi Stefano,

you must have missed my followup to Manoj.

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 18:35 +0200, you wrote:
> > > Been there. Done that. Had no problems.
>
> Been there too. Done that too. Had no problems as well.

> > I'm not sure about it because there were lots of other problems to
> > solve when I upgraded my SGI Indy r5k that ran a sid from '04, I

> Well, you asked for some feedback and you got some positive. I can
> just re-state that positive feedback. I'm writing to you from an
> debian/unstable machine which I use daily, and on which I switched to
> dash about 6 months ago. Since then I've had not a single problem
> ... at the point that when this discussion fired up again I had to
> check my /bin/sh to be sure that I actually changed the link back
> then.

Iirc the problems must have been in pre-etch or etch maintainer scripts
and I worked around them by pointing /bin/sh to bash.  I guess nobody
wants reports from that dist-upgrade.

> If your '03/'04 memories are different, then apparently we managed to
> fix quite a lot of bugs since then :-)

You conviniently didn't cite me not counting removed bashisms :)
Style and length of discussions w/o a consensus seem to be still
the same.

> Please give it another try and report any issue you find.

I did so half an hour before you sent your message :)
Be assured I'll report any issue I happen to run over.

Anyway, many thanks for your confirmation
  Siggy

ps: While I was writing this the Indy is building openssh to check
    whether -fPIC broke ssh & friends on mips. Same procedure with
    postfix will follow, 2 packages I had to downgrade for a usable
    sid.
--
Please don't Cc: me when replying, I might not see either copy.
               bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de