Re: Question regarding the default system shell

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 14:49 +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> su, 2009-07-26 kello 13:36 +0200, Siggy Brentrup kirjoitti:
> > My question is: will it ever happen that I may safely leave
> >   /bin/sh -> dash
> > while running an upgrade without fearing a maintainer script
> > fails?
>
> Been there. Done that. Had no problems.

I'm not sure about it because there were lots of other problems to
solve when I upgraded my SGI Indy r5k that ran a sid from '04, I
dist-upgraded via etch and lenny to now unstable (except for openssh
and postfix).  Early in this process I had to point /bin/sh to bash.

> Also, Ubuntu, which mainly uses Debian packages unchanged, uses dash as
> sh since years ago, without significant problems.

Running Ubuntu in one partition of my laptop, I'm aware of that.

> Users may have problems with locally written scripts, or third-party
> scripts, but that's true for any change. It should not stop progress.

That's perfectly clear and doesn't really matter.

Thanks for your reply
  Siggy
--
Please don't Cc: me when replying, I might not see either copy.
               bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de