Re: The wider implications of debhelper/dbus breakage

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Steffen Moeller <steffen_moeller@gmx.de> (17/07/2009):
> > Wouter's comment aside, checks at buildd level would be too late.
>
> Yes, sure. It'd rather be time for critical packages (say: dpkg-dev,
> debhelper, cdbs) to have proper non-regression testsuites.

At least dpkg-dev has one and it's run at build-time. Symbol file
parsing/matching was covered by a test suite but the precise problem
that happened was not catched. Of course the test was added when the bug got
fixed (we're speaking of #536034 for those wondering).

I also saw that Joey Hess added a test-suite for the recent debhelper
problems with dh_install:

debhelper (7.2.24) unstable; urgency=low

  * dh_install: Add test suite covering the last 5 bugs.

Speaking for dpkg-dev, any help is always welcome to enhance the
test-suite but it's a huge job that is not so rewarding.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/