Re: RFS: kernelcheck

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:04:32 +0100, Matthew Johnson wrote:

> On Sat Jun 20 09:28, David Paleino wrote:
> > Now that I read Ben's mail again, I see that his concern is also about the
> > Maintainer field. I suppose that should be a real name too then? Or is it ok
> > having a pseudonym because it's the sponsor taking responsibility for
> > the upload? (given that using this pseudonym he won't ever become a DD/DM)
>
> Sponsors take responsibility for the upload, so this should be fine.

Ok.

> Also, going back to the note about reputation; There's no reason
> reputation can't be associated with a pseudonym or with a GPG key
> attached to a pseudonym.

How do you sign such a key? You'd break the web of trust, if you don't check at
least one government-issued document having a photo. And I can't make people
associate my GPG key uid "hanska" with my document saying "David Paleino" --
even if they know that *I* am hanska (IRC, website, [..]).

And having a key not signed by anyone seems rather useless :) (/me remembers
his problems getting a GPG signature...)

> Anyway, I have no idea whether my sponsorees who I have never met and haven't
> gone through ID check are using their real names. If I don't care about that,
> why should I care about someone who is using a pseudonym that doesn't look
> like a real name.

That's the point, "haven't gone through ID check". He could well maintain his
package in Debian, just because he's not responsible for the upload.

David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino