Re: RFS: kernelcheck

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:25:20 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

> [moving to debian-devel as this is a topic broader than debian-mentors]
>
> Master Kernel <master.kernel.contact@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> >
> > > [To be likely to have your package sponsored,] You will need to
> > > identify yourself; “Master Kernel” is hardly likely to be your real
> > > name.
> >
> > Is there *any way* that I don't have to disclose this information? I
> > was contacted by a packager a while ago when this issue came up. He
> > said it would be possible to work around it.
>
> Well, if that person says it can be done, you'd be best to ask them for
> the details.

It was me, IIRC.
And no, I didn't package kernelcheck anymore.

I based my statement on the fact that the "john" package has "Solar
Designer" (whis is NOT the realname) as copyright holder (and that's in main)

  http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/j/john/current/copyright

> [..]
> Also, your expressive work is (whether you choose it or not) subject to
> copyright, and you as a legal entity are the copyright holder; for
> Debian to make use of your work under copyright law, we take on the
> burden of assuring we have license to do so.
>
> I'm not an ftpmaster, but I would be surprised if they want to take the
> risk of distributing works for which the copyright provenance is
> essentially unknown. I would imagine many prospective sponsors feel the
> same way. I don't know, though, so I'm inviting further input.

I didn't consider this aspect, at the time :(

Is material copyrightable under a nickname, instead of a realname?
The same question applies to work © by a team (an example involving me directly
-- bash-completion)

Kindly,
David

--