Re: should -dev libraries depending on other -dev packages?

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 08:06 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mercredi 13 mai 2009 à 11:23 +1000, Brian May a écrit :
> > Is this still considered to be a libtool issue?
>
> Yes, but instead of dropping the .la entirely, I’d recommend to simply
> purge it from the dependency libs.
> See /usr/share/gnome-pkg-tools/1/rules/clean-la.mk for a way to do it.
>
> If the pkg-config files or the headers still reference libdb, you’ll
> need it as a dependency anyway, but otherwise, it can be safely removed
> after you do that.

Are the following two items correct:
 - to link statically you need libdb ?
 - to link dynamically you don't ?

If they are both simultaneously correct then the .la should represent
this, and be doing the right thing.

If its not, it may be a libtool platform bug, or possibly [but unlikely]
we've found a bug in libtools .la format.

I'd need to check the source, which I don't have time to do just-now,
but I thought there was provision for static and shared linking having
different needs.

-Rob