Re: should -dev libraries depending on other -dev packages?

Robert Collins <robertc@robertcollins.net> writes:

> On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 08:06 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>> Le mercredi 13 mai 2009 à 11:23 +1000, Brian May a écrit :
>> > Is this still considered to be a libtool issue?
>>
>> Yes, but instead of dropping the .la entirely, Iâ??d recommend to simply
>> purge it from the dependency libs.
>> See /usr/share/gnome-pkg-tools/1/rules/clean-la.mk for a way to do it.

If you have no reverse dependency that uses *.la files then please
drop yours so things you depend on can drop theirs in turn. But only
then.

>> If the pkg-config files or the headers still reference libdb, youâ??ll
>> need it as a dependency anyway, but otherwise, it can be safely removed
>> after you do that.
>
> Are the following two items correct:
>  - to link statically you need libdb ?
>  - to link dynamically you don't ?
>
> If they are both simultaneously correct then the .la should represent
> this, and be doing the right thing.

Afaik the la can not represent that.

> If its not, it may be a libtool platform bug, or possibly [but unlikely]
> we've found a bug in libtools .la format.

Welcome to the new millenium. Now you know why people hate *.la files.

> I'd need to check the source, which I don't have time to do just-now,
> but I thought there was provision for static and shared linking having
> different needs.
>
> -Rob

MfG
        Goswin