Re: should -dev libraries depending on other -dev packages?

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 04:16:57PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> If they are both simultaneously correct then the .la should represent
> this, and be doing the right thing.

> If its not, it may be a libtool platform bug, or possibly [but unlikely]
> we've found a bug in libtools .la format.

> I'd need to check the source, which I don't have time to do just-now,
> but I thought there was provision for static and shared linking having
> different needs.

There is, but libtool itself has a blemish that ensures it will always
traverse .la file dependencies, and fail if they're not found, even when
linking dynamically.

Scott James Remnant has suggested that one solution would be for Debian to
replace libtool with a very small shell script for our own package-building
purposes.  But if we don't do that, then we shouldn't have .la files around;
they just encourage libtool to do stupid things at build time.