Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem?

> On Tue, 5 May 2009 17:36:02 +0200
> md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) wrote:
>
> > I have been told by upstream maintainers of one of my packages and
> > by prominent developers of other distributions that supporting a
> > standalone /usr is too much work and no other distribution worth
> > mentioning does it (not Ubuntu, not Fedora, not SuSE).
> >
> > I know that Debian supports this, but I also know that maintaning
> > forever large changes to packages for no real gain sucks.
> >
> > So, does anybody still see reasons to continue supporting a
> > standalone /usr?

You can lvm resize a standalone /usr by booting single user (I've done
it when my /usr got too small).

In addition getting rid of a standalone /usr will break existing
configurations.  It would break mine, for instance, because I
partitioned my hard drive based on the knowledge that /usr could be a
separate filesystem.

What about nfs-served /usr?

Regards,

Daniel

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore