Re: Possible mass bug filing: non-doc packages recommending doc packages

Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 02:58:56PM -0700, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> was heard to say:
>>> I think that lintian warning is the right way to do it.
>> I don't -- I think there are too many false positives for a lintian
>> warning given the thread.  I also think this is fundamentally going in
>> the wrong direction.  Wouldn't our users expect to get the documentation
>> with many of these packages by default?  Normally you do get some
>> documentation with things, and I've always been surprised by, say, ntp
>> not including any documentation without installing a separate package.
>
>   I agree with this.  I consider installing a program and *not*
> installing its documentation to be an unusual situation, and if this
> bug is filed I will treat it as a request to make my packages worse.
>
>   aptitude-doc is split out to save archive space and as a feature for
> users who want to save a few megabytes by removing the user manual, not
> because I want to force users to jump through hoops to get documentation
> on their system.
>
>   Daniel

If the documentation is something designed to be viewed in a web browser
and the user has broadband, it is arguably easier to find it on the web.
 Even knowing precisely where it is[/usr/share/doc/aptitude is it -doc
or just aptitude, oops I already found it online google aptitude doc
first result], it is still arguably faster to find it online and once
you bookmark it is virtually identical.

Travis