Re: ignoring the CoC in regards to cc:s (Re: Can we ship sources of a PDF file in the Debian diff?

Hello,

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 12:07 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> writes:
>
> > I don't know, but there are plenty of reasons to choose from.  See e.g.
> > http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>
> A stronger, and simpler, case is made by
> <URL:http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful/> which
> notes that the newer IETF standards make it much clearer that the
> Reply-To field is specifically for the message sender to create.

No matter how you implement that technically, Here's what I am
considering to be a sensible behavior. [Blindly ignoring any CoC, RFC
and any other current practice. BTW I am not a mailing-list
guru/expert/addict, just observing what people do, on Debian m-l]

If the sender of the previous email is subscribed to the list:
  If I select "Reply":
    To=mailing-list
    CC=
  If I select "Reply to all":
    To=mailing-list
    CC=Previous email's recipient.

If the sender of the previous mail was NOT subscribed to the list.
  If I select "Reply":
    To=sender,mailing-list
    CC=
  If I select "Reply to all":
    To=sender,mailing-list
    CC=Previous email's recipient.

=> Do you agree with this? Can we forward it to list-masters?

There are a few more things I am pretty sure:
* Joe User should not be expected to know about mailing list, especially
  when he posts on debian-www@lists.debian.org and other user support
  mailing list (i.e asking to be CC'ed, not CC'ing people...).
* Joe User should not be expected to know about "Reply to list" option.
  (Joe User only has 2 buttons: "reply" and "reply to all")
* Expecting any user to _configure_ it's MUA to have the expected
  behavior is the wrong way to achieve the goal.
* Expecting the user to edit headers (Reply-To or Follow-up-to...) isn't
  reasonable, because most end-user MUA (Thunderbird, Evolution,
  Outlook, Lotus Notes) don't allow doing it easily.

note: If you use debian-www (and probably a few other lists like
      debian-boot) then you are in big trouble when you need to
      reply to an @debian.org user... knowing if that user is
      subscribed is pure guess|luck.

Less is more, or to put it another way: <flame-sandbox> Yes, I am a big
fan of Gnome: i.e. Let's have less "buttons" that actually do what
people expect.</flame-sandbox>

Regards,

Franklin