Re: Consistent formating long descriptions as input data (Was: RFC: Better formatting for long descriptions)

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:36:31PM +0200, Vincent Danjean wrote:
> > I've the impression that you didn't read my post, I might be wrong
> > though.
> Do you read mine ?

Yes, but not the prev(prev(.)), sorry about that.

> > With that convention, you can use Markdown out of the box (on each
> > paragraph) as long as each list is on a single paragraph (which
> > sounds like a reasonable requirement to pose).
> No: lots of description do not put list in a single paragraph. In
> plain ASCII, it would be uggly to have a blank line before a list
> introduced by a colon...

The fact it would be ugly is totally subjective. I personally prefer
to leave a empty line than not; FWIW Markdown has been designed on top
of (perceived) mail habits, and that's why the blank line is
there. But tastes are not to be discussed in a thread like this.

Still you do have a point in saying that lots of description do not
put list in a single paragraph. That was not my feeling, but it is
true, as you can verify roughly skimming through something like:
"grep -B 1 '*' /var/lib/apt/lists/*_Packages | less"
Looks like half lists are on a single paragraphs, half are not.

> > Note that the only pre-processor needed seems to be the one which
> > separate paragraphs using the single dot we already use.
> No. Adding blank lines before lists is also required.

... so, agreed. The extra price to pay to use Markdown would be that
additional line insertion.

Cheers.