Re: How to depend on 32bit libs on amd64? (and what to do with ia32-libs)

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 04:26:54PM +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Goswin von Brederlow [Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:33:32 +0200]:
>
> Hello, [-mentors only Bcc'ed to drop it from the discussion]
>
>   Executive summary: concerns about ia32-apt-get raised, lesser hack
>   proposed for comments.
>
> > before Lenny ftpmaster asked us (ia32-libs maintainers) to do
> > something about the mess that is ia32-libs. Specifically that it is a
> > HUGE source duplication and a security nightmare. Unfortunaetly there
> > wasn't enough time before the release to get a new solution
> > (ia32-apt-get) into a stable state. Now that Lenny is out the problem
> > can be attacked again. The major remaining problems are how to
> > transition from ia32-libs to ia32-apt-get and how packages can depend
> > on 32bit libs then. (Which actualy hinge on the same problem.)
>
> Has there been any public discussions about ia32-apt-get, and consensus
> that it is an acceptable solution? To be honest, I’m not sure at all it
> is actually a better solution than the 500 MB source package.

[...]

> I realize quite a lot of effort has been put into writing this and to
> make sure it works, but as said above, I’m unsure it’s an acceptable
> solution to this problem. As an amd64 user, I’d be disgusted to see such
> a hack forced down on my system, and disappointed in Debian for
> sanctioning such solution.

To be honest, I feel exactly the same way about it.

I'm unsure why we need *any* 32-bit libraries or binaries on an
amd64 system.  If one needs to run 32-bit software, it is possible to
debootstrap an i386 system and use it as a chroot.  Using a tool such
as schroot handles all of the kernel personality and chroot details,
and even allows normal users to use it with access to all their files,
etc.  With a few one line scripts/shell aliases, it's completely
transparent.  It also has the advantage of being a complete i386
system rather than just a collection of libraries; you can keep it up
to date using the usual tools, and even boot it if you desire.  i.e.
you get all the normal security support and updates.

With multiarch, it's a different story, but we aren't quite there yet.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh