Re: How to depend on 32bit libs on amd64? (and what to do with ia32-libs)

Roger Leigh wrote:
> [...]
> I'm unsure why we need *any* 32-bit libraries or binaries on an
> amd64 system.  If one needs to run 32-bit software, it is possible to
> debootstrap an i386 system and use it as a chroot.

  The best example that comes to my mind is wine. You definitely have to
run it as 32 bits code, and it therefore depends on 32 bit libraries.

> Using a tool such
> as schroot handles all of the kernel personality and chroot details,
> and even allows normal users to use it with access to all their files,
> etc.  With a few one line scripts/shell aliases, it's completely
> transparent. It also has the advantage of being a complete i386
> system rather than just a collection of libraries; you can keep it up
> to date using the usual tools, and even boot it if you desire.  i.e.
> you get all the normal security support and updates.

  Although I admit that schroot is a neat tool to deal with that, it is
overkill in the case of wine, and much too complex for users that would
be interested to use wine: one of the public that can be attracted to
the GNU/Linux side of the game is gamers - especially now that there are
so many *recent* games that work with it. Telling them: «well, you'll
have to build a ia32 chroot to play...» is likely to drive them off for
good.

  Just for the record, I personally have ia32 chroots for various
reasons, but I run wine directly from my amd64 system, because it is way
 more comfortable this way.

  Cheers,

	Vincent

--
Vincent Fourmond, Debian Developer
http://vince-debian.blogspot.com/

The Librarian was, of course, very much in favour of reading in
general, but readers in particular got on his nerves.
 -- Terry Pratchet, Men at arms

Vincent, listening to Enfer et paradis (Les Negresses Vertes)