Re: How to depend on 32bit libs on amd64? (and what to do with ia32-libs)

Roger Leigh wrote:
> [...]
> I'm unsure why we need *any* 32-bit libraries or binaries on an
> amd64 system.  If one needs to run 32-bit software, it is possible to
> debootstrap an i386 system and use it as a chroot.

  The best example that comes to my mind is wine. You definitely have to
run it as 32 bits code, and it therefore depends on 32 bit libraries.

> Using a tool such
> as schroot handles all of the kernel personality and chroot details,
> and even allows normal users to use it with access to all their files,
> etc.  With a few one line scripts/shell aliases, it's completely
> transparent. It also has the advantage of being a complete i386
> system rather than just a collection of libraries; you can keep it up
> to date using the usual tools, and even boot it if you desire.  i.e.
> you get all the normal security support and updates.

  Although I admit that schroot is a neat tool to deal with that, it is
overkill in the case of wine, and much too complex for users that would
be interested to use wine: one of the public that can be attracted to
the GNU/Linux side of the game is gamers - especially now that there are
so many *recent* games that work with it. Telling them: «well, you'll
have to build a ia32 chroot to play...» is likely to drive them off for

  Just for the record, I personally have ia32 chroots for various
reasons, but I run wine directly from my amd64 system, because it is way
 more comfortable this way.

Vincent Fourmond, Debian Developer

The Librarian was, of course, very much in favour of reading in
general, but readers in particular got on his nerves.
 -- Terry Pratchet, Men at arms

Vincent, listening to Enfer et paradis (Les Negresses Vertes)