Re: realtime kernel for Debian

2009/3/28 Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola@gmail.com>

I asked an guy who did some work on the RT kernel for Ubuntu. This is what he said:

1) Ubuntu RT kernel don't offer the same guarantees that offer one of
the Debian kernels. For example DOS vulnerabilities are accepted into
Ubuntu RT Kernel (because it live in universe) when in Debian aren't
accepted at all.

2) Kernel packages between Debian and Ubuntu are very different.
Different version, different build infrastructure, different approach
in accepting external sources. These packages are one of few packages
that Ubuntu don't inherit from Debian.

3) Lenny is just released. I suppose that the next Debian release will
probably be in two years. In meanwhile it is probably that almost rt
bits will be merged and available in vanilla kernel (when it happen
the rt kernel could became one of all kernel flavours that Debian
offers).

debian stable aims to production servers, IMO multimedia users can/should live with testing without any fear of system crashes and security updates.

having RT kernel in testing could lead to a significant improvement for multimedia tasks under debian when squeeze will be released (in 18 months I hope).

waiting for the RT bits to be merged into the kernel mainline sounds like a slow down..

In other words a lot of effort is required for satisfy high quality
requested by Debian policy.
Comments on this?

\r

raffaele