Re: Alioth - Convert SVN repo to Git

* Reinhard Tartler [Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:03:42 +0100]:

> > Then I've used git-svn to import the svn history in an extra repository,
> > verified that everything is right, and pulled it from the repository created
> > with git-import-dsc. As git-import-dsc uses the date from the changelog as
> > commit date, this worked well enough for me. Probably needs some fine-tuning,
> > but I hope that's something you can work on.

> Been there, done that, got frustrated.

> that approach will result in actually two trees: one with the exact
> history of uploads and one with the svn history. while you have the
> actuall contents now in your tree, the history information is not
> exatcly correct. E.g. now you cannot bisect the svn commits anymore
> (which was for me the point of the excercise).

Right. I, too, wanted to go full-upstream-in-git when moving from
only-debian-in-bzr, but at the same time wanted to keep the whole bzr
history and not just a series of “Version 1.x-y imported” commits.

I did it for the amule package. I *think* I tried to do it with grafts
first and it wasn’t enough, but I could be wrong on that. I *certainly*
ended up doing it with rebase --interactive, and it was so painful it’s
not even funny. But I wanted it done really badly, and fortunately I do
enough non-maintenance tasks nowadays as to ensure there was exacly
*one* package where I wanted this procedure done. ;-)

It should be possible to automate, I’m sure, but I don’t think anybody
who could is going to care enough as to actually write the code.

Cheers,

--
- Are you sure we're good?
- Always.