Re: NEW processing

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 04:24:59PM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Mike O'Connor <stew@debian.org> (25/03/2009):
> > Yes, there have definately been times when packages are rejected from
> > NEW that only got there becuase of a package addition.  I'd say its
> > common, even.   If a package passes through new, then the maintainer
> > uploads without really paying attention to what they are uploading,
> > upstream licensing may have changed, making the package no longer
> > acceptable.  Or the package might have passed NEW in the past when it
> > really shoudln't have.
>
> And while the new package is kept out, the package currently in the
> archive might not be suitable at all. In the case of a single binary
> addition, that would mean as many RC bugs as REJECTED packages, don't
> you think?

yes, usually it should.  It doesn't always.  I have tried to file bugs
when I find them in the archive.  The citadel related packages are a
recent example of this. Unfortunately they don't always get filed.  In
my mind it would be better if the maintainers were to do this, seeing as
it is evendenced by threads like this, we are having trouble keeping up
with the NEW queue wihtout doing all of the source checks of packages
not in the queue as you seem to be suggesting we should possibly be
doing.

stew