Re: Alioth - Convert SVN repo to Git

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 08:44:55PM +0100, sean finney wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 09:52:28AM -0700, Ryan Niebur wrote:
> > > find . -type f -name 'foo*.dsc' | sort (or similar tools, make sure they're
> > > sorted in a way as dpkg would sort the versions) | while read i; do
> > > 	git-import-dsc $i
> > > done
> > >

> > git-import-dscs (note the extra s on the end) does exactly this.
>
> holy crap that's an awesome tool.
>
> i just tried this on a directory containing all the currently relevant
> php5 .dscs/.orig.tar.gzs/.diff.gzs and it did exactly what i would have
> hoped that it should do.  i think that pkg-php will be switching to git
> much sooner than expected now :)

For me, the main major blocker is the lack of upstream->master merges
in the history.  Given that we are importing all of the upstream, and
all of the debian releases, merge conflicts have already been handled
and so it should be possible to do this since we have all of the
information to hand (see #506211).

This means you can't commit a new upstream release to the upstream
branch and this do a "git merge upstream" on the master branch until
you do an initial merge of all the conflicts in the history to this
point (which can be a huge amount of work).  Given that both should
have a common ancestor (the original upstream commit), if the initial
import also does an upstream->master merge for each new upstream,
prior to adding the debian changes, it would work wonderfully.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh