Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

On 2009-03-22, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 04:31:58AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>> Le dimanche 22 mars 2009 à 02:58 +0000, Noah Slater a écrit :
>> > Again, while the documentation of individual licenses may not be policy, it is
>> > certainly policy for each package to be thoroughly checked for licensing issues.
>> > As this necessarily involves looking at each file, I don't see why it should be
>> > considered that much extra effort documenting the process.
>> >
>> > Ensuring DFSG compatibility is hardly administrative fluff.
>>
>> Please read what people write, otherwise it???s getting pretty insulting.
>>
>> No one here is questioning the importance and the usefulness of the
>> licensing check.
>
> I don't understand the disconnect here.
>
> A license check must, by definition, involve each file in the package.
>
> As re-quoted from the quote you previously quoted:
>
>   "I don't see why it should be considered that much extra effort documenting
>   the process."
>
> Best,

Please try it then.

take the kdelibs source package, start with taking time on how long it
takes to verify that everything is gpl compatible and then afterwards
try list every single copyright holder and put it in the proposed
copyright file and also measure the time spent on that.

It *does* *not* scale.

/Sune