Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 11:09:36PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Tim Retout:
>
> > If you do want to check who has assigned copyright to what, ask a GNU
> > maintainer who has access to the records on fencepost.gnu.org.
>
> This still doesn't tell us if the assignment is effective.
>
> (To clarify, I haven't seen the FSF records, but I've spoken to
> several GNU contributors in potential work-for-hire scenarios and have
> been told how the assignment process had been handled within their
> organizations.)

It is largely unimportant.

The legal details of copyright assignment are not important here. If the package
lists the copyright as belonging to the FSF, then it belongs to the FSF. If it
does not, then it does not. This is coming from a GNU maintainer who has been
through the process.