Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 03:58:34PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> Honestly, if you cant deal with listing the Authors/(C) holders - dont
> maintain a package. It is not much work to list them. (It might be a lot
> of work using the "new" format, but noone *requires* this format, especially
> not ftpmaster. It has *no* gain for us at all, we couldnt care less if
> you use it or not).

I resent the implication in this remark. The copyright proposal is not complex,
not verbose, and does not require any extra information from developers. The
only thing it does is to mandate a machine readable format, in a similar vein as
debian/control, for whatever information you might have already been using.

This has clear advantages for being able to post-process, check, search, and
navigate copyright information using whatever tools the community decides would
be profitable.