Re: Mass bugfiling in preparation for multiarch

Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 12:11:35PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> over the weekend I did some work on multiarch again and did notice
>> some new and old problems when adding more libraries to my test set.
>>
>> Given that the problems are quite easily detectable I'm considering
>> scanning all packages for their occurance and reporting bugs for them.
>> In detail I'm looking for the following situations violating 'Policy
>> 8.2 Shared library support files':
>>

> [snip]
>
>> Any objections to this? Note that most will be violations of a MUST
>> directive of policy.
>>

> If you want to get some more multiarch ennemies, this is clearly the
> way to go.
>
> The alternate method is to post a list to debian-devel, and when we have
> a basic multiarch support, you may start thinking about filling bugs.
> Not before.

So we should just ignore blatant policy violation until the moment they
do bite us in the ass? So we wait until the verry last moment when
everything would be ready to use multiarch and then we freeze squeeze
before package can be fixed to be multiarch compatible?

And by the way. We had basic multiarch support before sarge.  This is
not "before". This is after it has already killed multiarch for 2
stable releases. If we don't get things moving in parallel it will
never be ready for squeeze either.

MfG
        Goswin