Re: A hack to alleviate transitions in Britney; now what?

Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 12:17:28PM -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be better to remove the packages from testing? this way if
>> the library and other packages are ready to go they could easily migrate
>> without any special hack, if my understanding of the situation is
>> correct.
>
> In some cases, if you want a completely consistent testing you have to
> remove dozens of source packages for the benefit of one "extra" binary
> package that's built from the same source as something important.
>
> Removing GNOME from testing because something depends on libfrufru1 isn't
> a win for testing's usability.

It would only last until it is able to migrate without breaking anything. I
think this is just a matter of deciding which way is "less broken", i.e.
broken because some packages are removed, or broken because you have
multiple versions of the same libraries. IMHO the latter approach breaks
testing more than the former, because it is a matter of availability vs
duplicates (and if something goes wrong: installability).

Cheers,
Raphael Geissert