Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Bill Allombert wrote:
> There is no documented semantic for CFLAGS et. al. in Debian policy. While
> some Makefile handle it in a certain way, this is not mandatory in
> any way. For example some configure scripts append options to CFLAGS while
> other will not change it if it is defined.

This is precisely what I want to change. We should provide a reasonable
way for the user/admin to give default flags and for the packager to
override/extend the default set of flags.

> You are conflating breakage that were reported with breakage that appeared
> but were not reported.
[…]
> Changing CFLAGS behind the back of the maintainers is potentially changing
> how the package is build in a undefined way. A package built in such way should
> be assumed broken.

So you should assume that most Lenny packages are broken. I know the
difference but while I don't deny that some unused packages might be
affected by this, it's not my concern right now (those packages are
probably candidate for removal if nobody used them to detect that they are
not working anymore).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/