Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

[ Bcced to -devel and -dpkg, discussion should happen on -policy ]

we have an unfortunate situation where the practice in dpkg-buildpackage
and the policy do not match fully.

I tried to summarize the problem here:

I want to resolve this problem. I see two solutions:

* either we modify policy to mandate the set of environment variables that
  dpkg-buildpackage sets

* or we roll-back changes to dpkg-buildpackage and design something else
  that provide the same feature in terms of distribution-wide control of
  default build options. (I ignore the DEB_VENDOR feature, it can be easily
  replaced with dpkg-vendor but the build options case is much more tricky
  to get right)

In terms of efforts, the first solution is the easiest. But we aim at the
_right_ solution so feel free to design something that makes the second
solution viable.

Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :