debhelper >= 7.2.3, doc-base, and lintian

I just built a new version of one of my packages, and I got some
lintian errors like this:

E: qpdf: prerm-does-not-call-installdocs usr/share/doc-base/qpdf-manual
N:
N:    Since the package installs a file in /usr/share/doc-base, the package
N:    should probably call the install-docs command in its prerm script.
N:
N:    For example, use the following code in your maintainer script:
N:     if [ -x /usr/sbin/install-docs ]; then
N:       /usr/sbin/install-docs -r <your-package> || true
N:     fi
N:
N:    Refer to Debian doc-base Manual section 2.4 (Registering Documents Using
N:    install-docs) for details.
N:
N:    Severity: important, Certainty: certain
N:

This package uses cdbs with the debhelper rules.

Looking at the debhelper changelog, I see

 debhelper (7.2.3) unstable; urgency=low

   * dh_installdocs: No longer add maintainer script code to call
     doc-base, as it supports triggers in stable.

This version was uploaded on 3/7/2009.

I can't really parse "as it supports triggers in stable."  Who is "it"
and what triggers is "it" supporting?

Who is right?  Is lintian and also the doc-base manual that it
references correct?  Is there something else I'm supposed to be doing?

I'd like to find out what the story is here before I upload a package
with lintian errors.  I can't tell whether lintian is just behind an
intended change, debhelper is doing something wrong, cdbs is doing
something wrong with how it invokes debhelper, or I'm doing something
wrong in my rules.  All I do in my rules is

include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/debhelper.mk

and I have one .doc-base file.

Once I know where the problem is, I can either fix my packages or
submit a bug to the appropriate place.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>