Re: -dbg packages; are they actually useful?

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 12:43:43AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> writes:
> > Compressing -dbg files using dh_builddeb -Zlzma, which uses lzma
> > compression instead of gzip, gives an average gain of 1.88 in size for
> > the current -dbg packages we have in sid.
> Compressing with bzip2 is already supported by DAK and might help almost
> as much.  (I realize that LZMA is a better compression scheme overall, but

Most of the tests shows that bzip2 is slower to decompress an archive and
has a smaller gain than LZMA.

> it's apparently also deprecated, replaced with XZ, and using it in the
> archive will require further DAK changes or work to switch to XZ instead.)

AFAIK, allowing LZMA in DAK is just a matter of changing one line in

Do you have more details about LZMA being deprecated and replaced by XZ?
If we want to allow XZ, it will be for squeeze + 1 only.

BTW, I think we should also to disallow the compression for some
Debian packages. There is no point of compressing a package with gzip
when it contains a single source.bz2 (or .gz or .lzma) and a
changelog.gz. This is already supported by the tools, but not by DAK.

Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73