Re: Sections - especially section:kde and section:gnome

On ven, 2009-01-02 at 16:55 +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> I guess we actually need to consider what the sections are good for.
> > Asking in a random irc channel at least didn't reveal any real
> answers.
> > So what about killing the concept of sections entirely ?
>
> Sure, if at some point a replacement is suitable and *well integrated*
> into those Debian tools that currently have sections.

Humanly speaking, what are sections used for, currently? I know that the
frontpage in packages.d.o uses them, but what an user thinks about the
section concept?

We especially have a problem with “multiple sections” packages. I talked
with Sune on this, and for Xfce (if there was an Xfce section) I
couldn't say which packages would be in there and which ones wouldn't.

I guess that problem (and maybe one solution) leads to tags?

Cheers,
--
Yves-Alexis