Re: Bug reports of DFSG violations are tagged ???lenny-ignore????

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 22:26 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:22:25PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> > > I don't think that's a particularly constructive approach to take,
> > > especially not in a volunteer project.
>
> > I think that it is singularly non-constructive to see the maintainers of
> > packages regard compliance with our foundational documents as wishlist
> > items, and the release team regard such things as anything other than
> > show-stoppers.
>
> No, really.  The kernel team are volunteers.  Ordering them to do things
> doesn't help at all; one could equally well send the same message to
> everyone working on Debian (or, indeed, the wider community) since they
> could also step up to the plate and help fix this issue.
[...]

Actually, I've done the last part of the work to remove firmware (mostly
adapting patches written by others).  The remaining problems are (a) a
very few drivers don't have redistributable firmware (b) most of the
other patches have not been properly tested, at least not with the
Debian kernel.

Ben.