Re: Bug reports of DFSG violations are tagged ???lenny-ignore????

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:22:25PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 19:11 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 10:55:00AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> > > We need the relevant maintainers to be told "your unwillingness to fix
> > > this means we will not be able to release".

> > I don't think that's a particularly constructive approach to take,
> > especially not in a volunteer project.

> I think that it is singularly non-constructive to see the maintainers of
> packages regard compliance with our foundational documents as wishlist
> items, and the release team regard such things as anything other than
> show-stoppers.

No, really.  The kernel team are volunteers.  Ordering them to do things
doesn't help at all; one could equally well send the same message to
everyone working on Debian (or, indeed, the wider community) since they
could also step up to the plate and help fix this issue.

If they were actively stopping people working on these issues then that
would be different but I have not seen them doing this.