Re: RFC: DKMS - Dynamic Kernel Module Support

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 12 septembre 2008 à 10:00 +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> > IMO a solution that install modules manually (i.e. without dpkg) is not
> > acceptable.
>
> Why? I think this is the only sane way to go for drivers that we won’t
> ship binary packages for.

Why? What's wrong with dynamically generating .deb of those modules and
installing them?

There are technical challenges but it would be good to overcome them as
it's not the first time that we could have used some functionality to
trigger some supplementary package installation.

> As long as the .ko files are correctly removed when you remove the
> kernel image – which is feasible with a trigger – there is nothing wrong
> with it.

If you remove dkms, and remove kernel afterwards, you will keep cruft for
the eternity. Handling the modules with dpkg is always better for
accountability/auditability.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog