Re: RFC: DKMS - Dynamic Kernel Module Support

Le vendredi 12 septembre 2008 à 13:55 +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> Why? What's wrong with dynamically generating .deb of those modules and
> installing them?

I think this is going out of the scope of dpkg to be able to recursively
install packages that it was not even asked to install.

> There are technical challenges but it would be good to overcome them as
> it's not the first time that we could have used some functionality to
> trigger some supplementary package installation.

As a dpkg maintainer you are certainly in a better situation to tell us
whether it is possible to achieve that and how much perverted it would
be, but I really don’t think this is the good way to go.

> > As long as the .ko files are correctly removed when you remove the
> > kernel image – which is feasible with a trigger – there is nothing wrong
> > with it.
>
> If you remove dkms, and remove kernel afterwards, you will keep cruft for
> the eternity. Handling the modules with dpkg is always better for
> accountability/auditability.

No, if you remove dkms it should remove the modules it has installed as
well.

This will not, by far, be the first package to install manage that are
not contained within the package. You should see it just like the
byte-compilation of elisp or python modules: when a new
kernel/interpreter version is available, you need to compile/bytecompile
the drivers/modules that are handled by dkms/python-{central,support}.
The only thing that is different is that you need to ensure that the
headers are installed for each of the kernel images.

I would also much agree to install these files in a separate directory
tree from /lib/modules/2.6.xx-y-zzz, so that no confusion arises. /var
is not possible because it may not be mounted, but
think /lib/modules.dkms for example. This requires simple changes to
module-init-tools and initramfs-tools, but I think we can get something
working simply and correctly.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.