Re: Re: Will nvidia-graphics-drivers ever transition to testing?

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 09:08:32PM -0400, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> The set of modules can already be updated if someone has the time and
> experience needed to update nvidia-graphics-modules-i386 and company.
> Merging nvidia-graphics-modules-i386 with linux-modules-nonfree-2.6
> would only complicate or delay more testing transition of nvidia LKM
> packages, like for any LKM.

There is no merging happening.  linux-modules-nonfree-2.6 simply build
depends on nvidia-kernel-source package, and then proceeds to build the
modules for each kernel variant.  That is how the linux-modules-*-2.6
packages work.  linux-modules-nonfree-2.6 simply lists nvidia-kernel os
a module package to build.  nvidia-kernel-source has to provide the
appropriate Makefile for linux-modules-nonfree-2.6 to work with (which I
just finished writing).

So everytime debian does a new kernel version, they will do a new
linux-modules-*-2.6 package listing the new kernel version, which will
cause all the supported modules to be built.

If a new nvidia-kernel-source version comes out, then it will get
rebuilt too (quite how that is made to happen I am still not quite sure
of).

--
Len Sorensen