Re: How to build XEN dom0 and domU kernels based on 2.6.25?

On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 11:32 +0200, Daniel Widenfalk wrote:
> Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 14:16 +0200, Daniel Widenfalk wrote:
> >
> >> Ok, so dropping back a step. Let's assume that I build the 3.2.0 XEN
> >> hypervisor and dom0 kernel using 2.6.18 as base. I should then be able to
> >> build domU kernel(s) using the linux-source-2.6.25 files? How?
> >>
> >> I can't seem to get CONFIG_XEN set in my .config file. Running "make
> >> menuconfig" does not show any xen-specific options.
> >
> > Have you enabled CONFIG_PARAVIRT? You might also need to select a 686
> > kernel flavour for the option to appear. I've attached my config in case
> > it is useful, it's PAE+XEN.
> >
> > Also that that kernel only has i386 support for Xen, no 64 bit yet.
> >
> > Ian.
> >

> Many thanks all,
>
> I've decided to do the following:
>
> Upgrade to Xen 3.2.0 using the 2.6.18 kernel (debian tree) for
> my dom0 machines and build 2.6.25 kernels for my domUs. I can't
> see any major howlers with this as the domUs won't rely on
> anything linux/version specific in the dom0 kernel?

No that should be perfectly fine and is pretty much what I do (I use the
XenSource 2.6.18-xen tree though).

> My major problem with 2.6.25 was that I was trying to build a
> 64-bit kernel which caused the config system to disable Xen.
> Quite explainable if xen is not yet available for 64-bit in the
> current linux tree...

Yes, there is a tree at
http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=xen-pvops-64.git;a=summary which is the
in-progress tree but it needs pretty specific configuration settings:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-05/msg00117.html

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

You know what they say -- the sweetest word in the English language is revenge.
		-- Peter Beard