Re: Will nvidia-graphics-drivers ever transition to testing?

Le May 11, 2008 10:45:49 am Lennart Sorensen, vous avez écrit :
> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 09:08:32PM -0400, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> > The set of modules can already be updated if someone has the time and
> > experience needed to update nvidia-graphics-modules-i386 and company.
> > Merging nvidia-graphics-modules-i386 with linux-modules-nonfree-2.6
> > would only complicate or delay more testing transition of nvidia LKM
> > packages, like for any LKM.
>
> There is no merging happening.  linux-modules-nonfree-2.6 simply build
> depends on nvidia-kernel-source package, and then proceeds to build the
> modules for each kernel variant.  That is how the linux-modules-*-2.6
> packages work.  linux-modules-nonfree-2.6 simply lists nvidia-kernel os
> a module package to build.  nvidia-kernel-source has to provide the
> appropriate Makefile for linux-modules-nonfree-2.6 to work with (which I
> just finished writing).
Merging source package foo in source package bar means that bar is modified to
build foo's binary packages,

> So everytime debian does a new kernel version, they will do a new
> linux-modules-*-2.6 package listing the new kernel version, which will
> cause all the supported modules to be built.
>
> If a new nvidia-kernel-source version comes out, then it will get
> rebuilt too (quite how that is made to happen I am still not quite sure
> of).

Yes, the problems with conglomeration packages are the same as you'd get by
merging 2 somewhat related source packages together, say iceweasel with
icedove. Although the source packages would probably share a bit of code, if
there's a libpng transition and only iceweasel is ready, you need to drop
icedove, but your only choices are to drop icedove and iceweasel or re-upload
with a disabled icedove. Transitions get longer and/or versions are bumped
constantly. For example, linux-modules-extra-2.6 was uploaded 7 times to
unstable in 2008, while iceweasel was only uploaded 5 times.
linux-modules-extra-2.6 only did one Linux ABI transition during that time.
If nvidia prebuilt modules are merged in linux-modules-nonfree-2.6, they'll be
tied to kqemu prebuilt modules. This would hurt both nvidia LKM-s and kqemu
LKM-s, which are already in bad enough shape.